Some body builders use supplements to enhance performance or muscle growth. There are many on the market. We will discuss two basic types here; muscle builders and hormone level modifiers.
Muscle builders – Included here are creatine and glutamine, protein drinks and bars, and amino acids.
• Creatine and glutamine – Creatine is essential to build muscle. Creatine based products ensure you have an adequate supply to grow muscle. Glutamine supplements enhance your natural growth hormones, lessening the time your body requires to build muscle mass.
• Protein powders, drinks and bars – Your body needs 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day to grow muscles. These products provide an alternate source.
• Amino Acids – Amino acids are muscle building blocks that enhance protein. These are generally known as enhancements.
• Methoxy/Ecdysterone – This is a combination of methoxyIsoflavone and ecdysterone is used to support muscle building and protein synthesis. It is often used to promote weight loss.
Hormone level modifiers – Included here are testosterone, growth hormone boosters and anti-estrogen supplements.
• Testosterone – Testosterone is a primarily male hormone that occurs naturally in both males and females. It increases the body’s ability to build muscle.
• Anti-estrogen – Estrogen is a primarily female hormone that occurs naturally in both males and females. Blocking some of its production enhances the body’s ability to build muscle.
• Growth hormone boosters – These types of products are designed to improve muscle building in older people. As we age, we lose some of the body’s natural ability to generate new muscle.